ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Friends, Family and Personal Items > Misc. Tidbits & Fun Stuff
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Halia and Flammeus
wingnut

Lundy Road, Potterville Ghost town???

Howdy folks!

A few months ago I was transferred to a post in Ellenville, NY. Hasn't taken long for the tales of "Potterville" up on Lundy Road (Wawarsing) to reach my ears. The teenagers talk of murders, disappearances, haunted places, ruins, etc...

Anyone know anything about this area? history? Owners of the estate (the big one a few miles in)? Any hiking off this road worth trying? Does the road "go" anywhere? There are no dead end signs, but I gave up and bailed out because not long past the estate bridge/gates, the potholes and deep rain-filled ditches (and the idiot light on in the truck, and the looming twilight...) gave me the willies.

The road is beautiful - waterfalls, deep dark forest... but it is a little remote.

Thanks!
Halia and Flammeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:02 AM   #2
Mark Schaefer
Commander

Location: Lake Katrine, NY, just inside the Catskill Blue Line
I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er
I have not gone very far up the road. Potterville was razed after the state purchased the Lundy estate. There is a short write up in Hiking the Road to Ruins by David Steinberg.

The Lundy family owned and operated Lundy's Restauant in Brooklyn. I do not know anymore about the family or the history of Potterville.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Masticore317
Vagrant

I've been there quite a few times. Interesting place for sure. I've heard lots of "ghost" stories about it. Depends on what you believe I guess!
Masticore317 is offline   Reply With Quote