ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Hiking > Other Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
Jack7957
Jr. Commander

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter
Morgan Hill - Long loop 5/31

http://cnyhiking.com/MorganHillLongLoop.htm

‎12 miles, 6 hours, elev gain 1,490 feet, avg speed 2.0mph. On the Morgan Hill Long Loop. I didn't do it the same as he did it, I started at Spruce Pond and went counter-clockwise, so most of the difficult hill climbs would be in the first 1/3 of the trail. Most of the trail was dry, only a couple spots with some mud. Only saw two other people out hiking. Plenty of wildlife of the small variety, chipmunks, a toad, what I think was a young turkey.

I've defintely built up my stamina over this past month, if you had asked me to do this hike a month ago, I probably could have done it but not as fast.

Oh, and I love it when getting back to the parking lot that can hold 12-15 vehicles, that the only other person parked there parked so close to me that we wouldn't be able to open both our doors at the same time or they would hit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack7957 For This Useful Post:
vieWseeker (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
bignslow
Commander

I am a 46er
Fun loop. If you want a variation that focuses more on elevation gain and less on distance Nicole and I like to do the following:

1) Park at tinker falls parking lot
2) Climb to hang-glider lookout
3) Descend to falls
4) Climb to top of ridge
5) Descend to Shackham Road (I think that's the name)
6) Hike up to the leanto, continue the climb until it intersects dirt road (real dirt road, not the snowmobile path)
7) Do 6,5,4,3, then climb over the ridge (but not to the lookout), and descend to the car

it is ~8 miles with ~2k feet of gain
vieWseeker (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
mastergrasshopper
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignslow View Post
Fun loop. If you want a variation that focuses more on elevation gain and less on distance Nicole and I like to do the following:

1) Park at tinker falls parking lot
2) Climb to hang-glider lookout
3) Descend to falls
4) Climb to top of ridge
5) Descend to Shackham Road (I think that's the name)
6) Hike up to the leanto, continue the climb until it intersects dirt road (real dirt road, not the snowmobile path)
7) Do 6,5,4,3, then climb over the ridge (but not to the lookout), and descend to the car

it is ~8 miles with ~2k feet of gain
I go up past leanto till tree with double blaze at lip off little gorge. Otherwise same out and back. Tracked with GPS = 8.85 miles 2,200 ft gain. Been doing this for 12 years all seasons. 1:28 = best time
Another elevation short burn is park at Shackham go north up S.Jones, top of Tinker, Hang- glider, spruce pond, then return.
Going south after Tinker ( up North end of S. Jones ) they did a major trail reroute with about a 1/2 mile of endless switchbacks. I Ignore that and still go straight up same as good old ADK trails .
GREAT FUN
MG
mastergrasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #4
vieWseeker
Winter46er

I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
thats a nice day spent...theres a group of people doing the west face tonight, i may join them..Never done it that way.. Mike you have the 411 on the elevation gain from the other side, lab hollow up overlooking the pond?? its a nice climb in elevation too...??
ADK 46-R #6750W
CL-50 - #51
CATSKILLS- 9/39
NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos
vieWseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
mastergrasshopper
Commander

lots of wildlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack7957 View Post
http://cnyhiking.com/MorganHillLongLoop.htm

‎12 miles, 6 hours, elev gain 1,490 feet, avg speed 2.0mph. On the Morgan Hill Long Loop. I didn't do it the same as he did it, I started at Spruce Pond and went counter-clockwise, so most of the difficult hill climbs would be in the first 1/3 of the trail. Most of the trail was dry, only a couple spots with some mud. Only saw two other people out hiking. Plenty of wildlife of the small variety, chipmunks, a toad, what I think was a young turkey.

I've defintely built up my stamina over this past month, if you had asked me to do this hike a month ago, I probably could have done it but not as fast.

Oh, and I love it when getting back to the parking lot that can hold 12-15 vehicles, that the only other person parked there parked so close to me that we wouldn't be able to open both our doors at the same time or they would hit.
love the 12 mile loop. lots of variation and lots of wildlife. Done many ways but for speed I like to start at 2nd Shakham crossing ( just above Shackham pond ). I go clockwise, around pond and on up to Baily rd - Morgan hill rd
then on on down to leanto and Shackham rd. Then S and N Jones hill and over and down to spruce pond. The rest of the way is nice soft trail mainly downhill back to Shackham rd. The 2 sections of trail from spruce pond down to shackham pond and around to bottom off Baily hill are newly cut trails as of 3 years ago this fall. Best time so far is 2:12, My wife just got into it and her first loop was 5:01 her goal is to do a 4:30 by this fall. I've been trying to break the 2 hour mark since they cut the trail
I've been down there almost every day for past 2 weeks as I've been recovering from Surgery. The day after discharge from hospital I did 12 hour loop in 6 hours and this past sunday got down to a respectable 2:44.
MG
Old 06-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
PA Ridgerunner
Lovin' Life!

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
Great loop! I've done it a few different ways, but like MG's clockwise route from Shackham pond best...gets the road walk out of the way early, before the sun is too hot. I actually like the switchbacks, because that's such a scenic part of the trail and you can focus on that, rather than not slipping and falling or tripping over roots...and that ''good ole days" trail was seriously eroded!

Wanna try BNS/Poopsmith's variation...sounds like fun!
Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
HikrGrl

I've never been, but would like to try it. Are the trails well marked?
HikrGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

adkhighpeaks Foundation Board of Directors adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikrGrl View Post
I've never been, but would like to try it. Are the trails well marked?
In short the answer is no, but the descriptions and maps on the cnyhiking website in the first post are extremely helpful.
There are often a couple of forum members out there and I will be doing the long loop this Saturday from Shackum pond at 8 a.m. possibly with a few others.
I have no intentions of ever breaking the 2 hour mark
Depending on who I am with it usually takes me anywhere from 4 to 5 and a half hours.
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs
ADKJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
HikrGrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKJack View Post
In short the answer is no, but the descriptions and maps on the cnyhiking website in the first post are extremely helpful.
There are often a couple of forum members out there and I will be doing the long loop this Saturday from Shackum pond at 8 a.m. possibly with a few others.
I have no intentions of ever breaking the 2 hour mark
Depending on who I am with it usually takes me anywhere from 4 to 5 and a half hours.
I've seen a lot of people post about their time on this trail. Is it big for trail runners? Or are people just speed hikers?! Some times are very impressive!
HikrGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

adkhighpeaks Foundation Board of Directors adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikrGrl View Post
I've seen a lot of people post about their time on this trail. Is it big for trail runners? Or are people just speed hikers?! Some times are very impressive!
Combination of both. Most of us have found that is a good place to keep in half decent hiking shape .
If you are interested in running it I know that Bignslow, poopsmith, Kyler, Kensquest could pipei n. And if you are looking at superhuman, insect like speed. Mastergrasshoper is the man or bug
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADKJack For This Useful Post:
HikrGrl (07-08-2013), kensquest (07-09-2013), vieWseeker (07-09-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
JimB

Great training area

The trails in Morgan Hill are a great workout, very challenging for the distance covered. Since hiking there last fall and winter with other forum members I continued with my own favorite loops. For a quick workout I park at the upper Shackham crossing (by the pond) and go counter clockwise past Spruce Pond up to the hang glider overlook. Then down over the top of Tinker Falls and up and over the hill back to Shackham road. Then it's a one mile jog back to the vehicle. It's real close to 7 miles with the majority of the climbing. For me it's a little less than 2 hours which is all I can really get out with all of the other "stuff" I seem to have to do. Thats about the same time as others do the whole loop. I really noticed an improvement in my fitness level(especially aerobic level) when I went there frequently. Lately I've just been cycling but I look forward to getting back over there.
ADKJack (07-08-2013), Bud3010 (07-12-2013), kensquest (07-09-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

I will be at Shackum pond at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow 7/13. Planning on doing the long loop clockwise (get the road walk out of the way early). Willing to consider alternative routes depending upon who is interested.
Ed Viesturs
Old 07-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
PA Ridgerunner
Lovin' Life!

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
We'll be there!
Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Last edited by PA Ridgerunner; 07-12-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
Bud3010
Consultant

I have a high school 50 th class reunion .. Wish I could join you all. Steve.. Check out thae poison ivy you referred to in a post a few years ago to see if it is still there. Thanks.. Bud
Bud3010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
PA Ridgerunner
Lovin' Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud3010 View Post
I have a high school 50 th class reunion .. Wish I could join you all. Steve.. Check out thae poison ivy you referred to in a post a few years ago to see if it is still there. Thanks.. Bud
Will do, Bud. I suspect it is...
Sorry we'll miss you tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #16
mastergrasshopper
Commander

PI still there

step lightly about 1/4 mile up from shackham.
I usually buy a 6.00 dollar spray bottle of PI kill and run up there just to get any stuff overhanging the trail ( didn't get it yet this year ). Ran into trail crew 3 weeks ago and they were working on blowdown between leanto and morgan hill rd. Still some trees down right at stream crossing by leanto. one was struck by lighting and smouldered even in the rain for 2 days.
Enjoy all, I'm off for Daks.

prisoner of hope

MG " in search of Elie Gain "
The Following User Says Thank You to mastergrasshopper For This Useful Post:
Bud3010 (07-14-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #17
PA Ridgerunner
Lovin' Life!

Nice hike with ADKJack and Muddybottom on Saturday. Muddy and muggy, and the skeeters were out. (Adirondack conditions). No speed records were broken. Nice to meet Hikergirl on the trail.

P.S. That is indeed a healthy patch of poison ivy.
The Following User Says Thank You to PA Ridgerunner For This Useful Post:
Bud3010 (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #18
Bud3010
Consultant

So what is the exact location of this so called healthy patch of poison ivy?????
Old 07-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #19
mastergrasshopper
Commander

up from north Shackham crossing

If you go counterclock wise up from North Shackham crossing / parking about 1/4 mile. you go up on a long angle make one sharp turn then angle up to 2nd turn. The tree that creats the turn has a few PI vines and was the first PI I saw out there. just up from the 2nd turn about 30 paces there is less brush overhanging the trail and in a small opening there is PI on both sides of the trail ( leaflets 3 leave me be ) dark green lush growth just to edge of trail. When it is hot and humid the oil is most potent. I have a very slight reaction to PI but my wife ended up in ER a few years back after encountering some.
As a kid my cousin ended up in hospital for one week while I had a few bumps on back of hand. We picked and ate wild onions that were co mingled with PI and he had PI internaly , hence the one week hospital stay. So I learned early on how to ID it to protect the ones i love.

prisoner of hope

MG " in search of Elie Gain "
The Following User Says Thank You to mastergrasshopper For This Useful Post:
Bud3010 (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #20
Bud3010
Consultant

Thanks MG. I haven't been up there in a while. I think I will start at Spruce Pond and go up to the hang glider spot from there. When I come around Shackham Pond I will take the road back to Spruce. Can I assume the whole rest of the 12 miles is clear??