ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Hiking > Adirondack Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
magoo
#8196 Skylight

I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Noonmark and Round Mt. 2-22-13

Up and early at 3am and off. Made it to St. Hubert Parking area at 6:40am. 2 cars in the lot and One person was just heading in. I have had my eye on Noonmark Mt over the past few summers. But busy on my summer 46 list, i never made time for it. And being new to winter hiking i thought it would be a great hike with some awesome views. And it did not dissapoint. I signed in at the Noonmark trailhead at about 7am. with temps forcasted near 30 and the sun was already peaking at me, i knew today was going to be epic. As i headed up the Stimson Trail, i did run into a bit of ice, nothing my snowshoes couldnt tackle. Along the way up i had an excellent view of Giant Mt which was going in and out of the morning clouds. The Trail was good and had been hiked by someone the day before, as i neared the open rocks before the summit . the trail was blown in and the snow was quite heavy. Into the pines and up to the Rocky Summit. This side of Noonmark has Great views of the Lower Great Range. The trail up this side of the summit did some decent ice here and there on the trail. Well I Made it to the summit at 8:05am. Supprised that the Views were so breath taking from a smaller 3500 ft summit. But it had 360 views & Blue skys. IT WAS JUST Perfect.
Soaked up the views and took off down the back side of Noonmark toward the old Dix Trail. This side of Noonmark had alot more snow and the trail was excelent. Very steep though. Just from the Old DixTrail up to Noonmarks summit it gains 1216' in 1 mile. So im gald i came down this way.
Now off to Round Mountain, its only 1.4 miles from the bottom of Noonmark. i made quick work of this 3000footer. I Made the sumit by 9:30am. Took more pics, and relaxed in the sun for close to 20 mins. Giant Summit was clouded, I heading down the trail to the car, trail was good, it runs a ridge down, from behind Chapel Pond right down behind St. Huberts parking area. I Made it to the car by 11:30am, home by 1:30 pm and still had plenty of time to spend the rest of the day with the wifey and Daughter. Overall perfect walk in the woods.
Round 1 - 4-46-W
--SOLO--- 10/46-R
Saranac Lake 6er
6/6-R
0/6-W

FIRE TOWERS
8/29

"Every Mountiain top is within reach if you just keep climbing."
-Barry Finlay
magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magoo For This Useful Post:
Crepuscular (02-25-2013), Eesti (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
RTSpoons
Landscape Surveyor

Noonmark is a great peak. I would guess from your report you returned the way you came from Round. Next time try following the trail from Round which leads back to the parking area.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
RTSpoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
ScAtTeRbOnE
Balsam Sniffer

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
Nice Report. Been up Noonmark a few times, but last winter I did a loop over Round and Noonmark and was surprised at the elevation gain, something like 2800ft in little over 3 miles of uphill travel. Great views though from both peaks. I was over in the clouds on Giant on Friday (2/22), got some fleeting views on the summit and some nicer views on the descent.

ScAtTeRbOnE's Adventures

"We are now in the mountains and they are in us, kindling enthusiasm, making every nerve quiver, filling every pore and cell of us. Our flesh and bone tabernacle seems transparent as glass to the beauty about us, as if truly an inseparable part of it, thrilling with the air and trees, streams and rocks, in the waves of the sun, a part of all nature, neither old nor young, sick nor well, but immortal." John Muir from My First Summer in The Sierra
ScAtTeRbOnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
magoo
#8196 Skylight

I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScAtTeRbOnE View Post
Nice Report. Been up Noonmark a few times, but last winter I did a loop over Round and Noonmark and was surprised at the elevation gain, something like 2800ft in little over 3 miles of uphill travel. Great views though from both peaks. I was over in the clouds on Giant on Friday (2/22), got some fleeting views on the summit and some nicer views on the descent.
When i was over on Noonmark @ 8 Giant was otta the clouds for a bit. by 9:30 when i summited Round, you were in the clouds, Rocky Peak wasnt though. I fixed the link to my pics. Check them out, i have a pic of Giant in the clouds!!
Round 1 - 4-46-W
--SOLO--- 10/46-R
Saranac Lake 6er
6/6-R
0/6-W

FIRE TOWERS
8/29

"Every Mountiain top is within reach if you just keep climbing."
-Barry Finlay
magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Gregory Karl
* — * — * — * — *

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Surprised that the Views were so breath taking from a smaller 3500 ft summit.
Almost all of the little peaks in that area have great views—and all of the trails on those two mountains are spectacular.
Gregory Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

adkhighpeaks Foundation Board of Directors adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Nicely done!
Noonmark and Round are exceptional peaks, especially on bluebird winter days.
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs
ADKJack is offline   Reply With Quote