ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Adirondack Slides > Slide Climbing Resources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
C29368

Exclamation Avalanche Gear

Planning on doing multiple slide climbs in the High Peaks this winter. I believe avalanche gear is necessary on the slides in the Adirondaks, though some people I have talked to do not. What is the general consensus for bringing avalanche gear when climbing slides in the winter?
Colorado 14K: 1/54

Appalachian Trail thru-hike
Sherwin NOBO 2013
C29368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
tcd
Commander

In real winter (significant "slidable" snow accumulation) the slides are absolutely avalanche terrain. (I ski slides, but usually only in spring corn conditions.) There has been one avalanche death, and several near misses, on Adirondack slides in recent years. Due to almost no snow last year, if we get snow this year, it will be the first time the many new "Irene" slides will be tested for winter travel.

Without getting into any detail, of course the most important avy gear is training, knowledge and experience. Second is a clear head and a willingness to adjust plans. All the hardware comes after those two.
tcd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tcd For This Useful Post:
toeknee (12-16-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
adkh2o

Quote:
Originally Posted by C29368 View Post
Planning on doing multiple slide climbs in the High Peaks this winter. I believe avalanche gear is necessary on the slides in the Adirondaks, though some people I have talked to do not. What is the general consensus for bringing avalanche gear when climbing slides in the winter?
I agree with TCD that knowledge and training should come first. There are several local options for avalanche courses.

The Mountaineer offers avalanche courses at the annual Mountainfest and Skifest.

EMS offers courses in NY and NH.

Other avalanche courses in the Northeast.

Here are some links that provide historical info on Adirondack avalanches:

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...valanches.html

http://adirondackexplorer.org/out-ta...-in-avalanche/

http://web.archive.org/web/200612060...aavalanche.htm
adkh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
occamsrazor32
Slide Winter

None of these answers actually answered the question asked. He asked about which gear not about classes. We just want to know what people's opinions are about gear.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
hillman1
Hillmonster

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
I have brought gear before, but never needed it. It would suck to need it and not have it. The rational person would say carry it on all trips where you will be exposed to possible slides, and if you have it, and your partners have it, why not carry it.
C29368 (12-03-2012), tcd (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
tcd
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by occamsrazor32 View Post
None of these answers actually answered the question asked. He asked about which gear not about classes. We just want to know what people's opinions are about gear.
Actually, I *don't* think he asked *which* gear to bring. I think he asked whether to bring gear or not to bring it. Maybe the OP can clarify the question, but the responses about knowledge were appropriate to the original question as written. Hillman has also answered the orignial question more directly, now.

To the new question of *which gear*, there is pretty much a standard set of gear: transceiver, probe, shovel. Of course lots of brand and model choices there!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
C29368

I understand that knowledge is the most important tool one can have in dealing with avalanche safety. Thank you for the links. The objective of my question is to find out if the slide climbers of this forum bring avalanche gear with them on the slides of the Adirondaks. A simple yes or no is ok, or if one has preference to what avalanche gear they actually bring on what slides. Any other information in this thread, although very helpful, is secondary.
Colorado 14K: 1/54

Appalachian Trail thru-hike
Sherwin NOBO 2013
C29368 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C29368 For This Useful Post:
tcd (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
tcd
Commander

Thanks. In my case, the answer is No, I generally do not bring that gear. That's because I stay off the slides until spring corn conditions come around. (Packed corn can slide, but it's far less likely.) If I were to go onto a slide when there was significant avy risk, then the answer would be Yes, I would bring that gear.
The Following User Says Thank You to tcd For This Useful Post:
C29368 (12-03-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
mudrat
Slide Junkie, 46R 5430W

I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by C29368 View Post
I understand that knowledge is the most important tool one can have in dealing with avalanche safety. Thank you for the links. The objective of my question is to find out if the slide climbers of this forum bring avalanche gear with them on the slides of the Adirondaks. A simple yes or no is ok, or if one has preference to what avalanche gear they actually bring on what slides. Any other information in this thread, although very helpful, is secondary.
Yes, I'd want to bring what gear I had if the risk was high. If I knew conditions were more icy then, no.

http://www.mackenziefamily.com/46/46r.html
mudrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
keene5742

Avalanche gear

If you're going to travel in any terrain that has the potential to avalanche then you should be bringing a beacon, probe and shovel, preferably a metal bladed one. In addition you should be traveling with at least 3 in your party and know how to self rescue and seek out a avy course that meets the american avalanche associations guidelines.
keene5742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
Crepuscular
White Pine Enthusiast

I am a 46er
Peakbagr: Thanks so much for sharing that!! It was really well done and compelling. I'm interested in the backcountry but moreso low pitch glade stuff and some ski touring. Reading this gets me very interested in avalanche safety education.

You won't find reasonable men on the tops of tall mountains.
--Hunter S. Thompson
Crepuscular is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avalanche, climbing, gear, winter