ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Hiking > Adirondack Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #21
Teleskier
Commander

I am a 46er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
It's much ado about respecting the rules of the ADK 46ers and local laws.
Not suggesting otherwise. Only saying that a legal crossing of the river was and is provided, to be used instead of the bridge. Aside from being illegal (well, in the same sense that postholing is illegal), crossing that tenuous bridge is pretty foolish as well. With the weather getting warmer and river levels dropping, how hard will it be to ford the river?
Teleskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #22
DackerDan
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
If by your 46th peak you're still littering, post-holing, camping wherever you please, pissing in streams, trodding on alpine vegetation, bear-bagging your food and making campfires (in the Eastern High Peaks), or trespassing, then you missed the point of what it means to be a ADK 46er; the goal is not to become a 46er in numerical achievement and nothing more.
You forgot taking your dog on the trail without being on a leash.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #23
Commissionpoint
Alpine Addict

I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DackerDan View Post
Yeh, while many ignore this rule completely its only really in effect in relatively few places.

Its the dogs pissing in streams off of closed bridges on private property that really irratates me.
I know it sounds corny, man, but I like to bring folks joy, and I like to have a good time. I know folks like to be with somebody who's having a good time. You sure as hell don't want to be with somebody who's having a bad day.
-WJ

Commissionpoint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Commissionpoint For This Useful Post:
joelenhard (05-20-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #24
Photobug65
W46-R finish on Cascade

I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er
Quote:
There have been people on the trails that should've been leashed as well... ... Just thinking of all the stolen property from lean-tos, campsites and vehicles.

ADK 46-R 7090W
Saranac Lake 6er (3x) 11U, UW
Catskill 3500 2265; 921W
Photobug65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Photobug65 For This Useful Post:
ADK_Dreamer (05-11-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #25
Snav3
Jr. Commander

I am a 46er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
Not suggesting otherwise. Only saying that a legal crossing of the river was and is provided, to be used instead of the bridge. Aside from being illegal (well, in the same sense that postholing is illegal), crossing that tenuous bridge is pretty foolish as well. With the weather getting warmer and river levels dropping, how hard will it be to ford the river?
IIRC, the bridge was taken out by the spring floods last year, not by Irene?? So, plenty of people figured out the river crossings last spring.
Snav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #26
Snav3
Jr. Commander

I am a 46er
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobug65 View Post
There have been people on the trails that should've been leashed as well... .
I'm always on a leash when I take my dog on the trail
Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #27
DackerDan
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissionpoint View Post
Yeh, while many ignore this rule completely its only really in effect in relatively few places.

Its the dogs pissing in streams off of closed bridges on private property that really irratates me.
Not in the High Peaks; according to DEC regs - I just copied this from thier website:
"Dogs: Dog owners are reminded that dogs must be leashed in the Eastern High Peaks when on trails, at primitive tent sites, at lean-to sites, everywhere above 4,000 feet, or at other areas where the public congregates. It is recommended dogs be kept leashed in most areas for the safety of your dog, the protection of wildlife and as a courtesy to fellow hikers."

I am not a dog hater but on more than one occasion I have had to fend off someones dog while trying to eat my lunch or had a dog run up to me on a trail not knowing what his intentions were. Although not specifically stated I wish they would bury thier dogs waste as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to DackerDan For This Useful Post:
ADK_Dreamer (05-11-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #28
Snav3
Jr. Commander

I am a 46er
Quote:
I am not a dog hater but on more than one occasion I have had to fend off someones dog while trying to eat my lunch or had a dog run up to me on a trail not knowing what his intentions were. Although not specifically stated I wish they would bury thier dogs waste as well.
Well I'm obviously not a dog hater, but I do find it annoying when an loose, uncontrolled dog runs up to mine while on the trail. Especially a problem when my daughter is with me as he gets more protective.

I believe there is a DEC regulation that requires dog owners to remove and bury dog waste from near water, trails and campsites.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snav3 For This Useful Post:
ADK_Dreamer (05-11-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #29
PA Ridgerunner
Lovin' Life!

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav3 View Post
IIRC, the bridge was taken out by the spring floods last year, not by Irene?? So, plenty of people figured out the river crossings last spring.
Both, actually. The bridge had just been re-opened when Irene came through and knocked it down again!
Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #30
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

adkhighpeaks Foundation Board of Directors adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
I am thinking about organizing the Allen/Adams Mountain Triathalon. Bike From Newcomb to Tahawus, Wade the Hudson, Swim Lake Jimmy and then run to Allen and then a heartbreak hill finish on Mt. Adams.

Seriously folks, enjoy the extra challenges that these two mountains presently have. Wading the river and bushwhacking Lake Jimmy are pretty unique experiences for completing the 46. As Joe H. often says, Have Fun, Be Safe and if I may, Stay off the bridge until it is safe.
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs

Last edited by ADKJack; 05-08-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling
ADKJack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ADKJack For This Useful Post:
Alpine1 (05-08-2012), dailey7779 (05-08-2012), joelenhard (05-20-2012), veggielasagna (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #31
Foottraffic
What's next?

I am a 46er
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelenhard View Post
After hearing horror stories, we had pictured Allen a hike we would be glad to just get behind us.

However, it turned out to be one of my favorites! It gets such a bad rap!
Allen was one of my favorites. I am looking forward to doing it again!
Foottraffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #32
joelenhard
ADK 46R

I am a 46er
Wow. hadn't been on here since shortly after hiking Allen, did not realize i caused such as stir. I was not aware that said crossing was illegal, if i had, i would not have done it. As for the bushwhack, again, i was not aware that area was private land- we saw plenty of signs on other areas indicating private lands, did not realize that area was included.

As for our respect for the area, i can assure you my intentions were pure. I have NEVER been one to litter, posthole, camp where i please piss in streams, trod on alpine vegetation, bear bag my food or make campfires, nor did i intend to trespass, and quite frankly, i resent the implication as such.