ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Hiking > Mt. Adams Firetower Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

adkhighpeaks Foundation Board of Directors adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
2012 Work Schedule on Mt. Adams Tower

In an attempt to make it as easy as possible to plan in advance I have put together this year’s work dates and tentative itinerary. I have also tried to not conflict with scheduled 46r trail work days assuming that there schedule will be similar to the dates they had in 2011.
I look forward to completing the restoration effort on the tower this year. The remaining years on our Adopt a Natural Resource Agreement will hopefully be spent doing normal maintenance, trail work and possible re-route.
There are several contingencies that I cannot plan on at this time that will most likely be confirmed on short notice due to weather and other considerations. This includes the possible air-drop / air-lift of supplies and debris removal. I will definitely need help with this and hope that I can find some volunteers that will be available last minute and most likely mid week.
With any luck at all we will be able to airlift the concrete we need to restore one of the footings on the tower. Otherwise we will need a whole bunch of folks willing to carry 8-10 lbs of concrete to the top, surely this would be no more difficult than bringing the 42 stair treads up a couple years ago
Please consider setting aside a day or two to be a part of our volunteer project. I need your help.
Here are the dates and tentative plans for 2012

Saturday May 19th Cancelled see this post- Initial trail work and tower inspection. Though we did a thorough clearing and side cutting after Irene I have heard that there has been subsequent blow down I do not anticipate a lot but would like to get in during chainsaw season.
Please keep in mind that the suspension bridge over the Hudson is down and that the bridge over Lake Jimmy has also had report of damage after Irene.
Saturday June 2nd Postponed to the 16th due to Rain We will complete the work on the cab including installation of the last couple of windows and reinforcing the floor. I figure best to work high during early black fly season.
Saturday June 16th – Rain date for 6/2Completed Thank You!

Saturday June 30th - Railings and Fencing 99% Completed Thank You!

Saturday and Sunday July 14 – 15 concrete footings formed and poured Well had the concrete been up there that was the plan, We hauled concrete up instead, 140 lbs up another 100 to go. Obviously this task will take several trips over the rest of the summer

Saturday August 11th]- Postponed due to rain, too much water to collect waterWater to top, build forms for footers

Saturday August 25th NEW DATE Just Added- Pour new footers Completed and cut down old cables

Saturday September 15th New Date Trail Work and Misc.Completed All work for the season has been completed successfully. Many thanks to all the volunteers that have been so gracious to lend a hand on a heavy mule year.

Please send me a PM or post the days that you can join us so I can plan accordingly.
Thank you in advance for your help and support.
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs

Last edited by ADKJack; 09-15-2012 at 07:56 PM.
ADKJack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADKJack For This Useful Post:
alistair (01-13-2012), hikingcaver (02-06-2012), MtnManJohn (03-23-2012)
Old 12-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Laurie Rankin
Commander

Location: Tillson, NY Avatar: My Granddaughter signs in for the first time!
I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er
Looks good Jack! We will definitely try to help see this project to completion in 2012. Good idea to work high during black fly season!
Laurie Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
Gmac39
Slowpoke Hiker

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I cross post at ADKForum
Any word on the bridge repairs?
Old 12-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

adkhighpeaks Foundation Board of Directors adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmac39 View Post
Any word on the bridge repairs?
Nothing yet, I do no think it will be reconstructed any time soon
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs
Old 01-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Dunbar
Always Serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKJack View Post
Nothing yet, I do no think it will be reconstructed any time soon
It's ok. I heard Neil is good at stream crossings.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

BUMP
now that spring is in the air, a little reminder
Ed Viesturs
Old 04-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Neil
Administrator

I volunteer to scout for a relocalisation of the trail, if that is still in the cards.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I volunteer to scout for a relocalisation of the trail, if that is still in the cards.
I hear there is an excellent route from the northwest
Ed Viesturs

Last edited by ADKJack; 04-14-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Teacher corrected my spelling
Old 04-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
Neil
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKJack View Post
I here there is an excellent route from the northwest
Then you should go for a hearing test. Not to mention signing up for remedial classes in spelling.....
Old 04-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

Pre- season recon

I will be heading up this Friday the May 4th to do a little reconnaissance for the upcoming season. I do not plan on doing any work just taking a look to scout out any additional projects that may need to be addressed. If you would like to join me let me know. I hope to be on trail by 7:30.
Ed Viesturs
Old 05-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #11
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

I had the pleasure of SoloJoe's company on the trip yesterday. The trail is actually in very good shape. We encountered only three or four deadfall across the trail and only one near the summit that required a bend at the waist. Though this one could easily be cut by a chain saw it would not be worth the effort to carry one up the trail that distance. An axe or saw will do the trick with less energy.
We worked to open some drainage points and water bars on the soaked trail (it had ben raining all night and was a light rain in the morning). We had success opening and rerouting the water flow in a couple sections, some will require a small shovel and some parts are well.....the Mt. Adams trail
There is not enough trail work to dedicate a large crew, but we may be able to get a jump on some of the other work.
I got the go ahead from the DEC late last week to bring the Cement up to the caretakers shop in Santanoni for an airlift to the top during the Colden interior outpost resupply. I broght three bags up with me yesterday and am waiting to hear when the airlift will happen.
Ed Viesturs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADKJack For This Useful Post:
Kenmore (05-07-2012), Trail Boss (05-05-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
SoloJoe
X

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter
Thanks for letting me tag along, Jack. Really fun hike, especially fording the Hudson and the brief bushwhack around Lake Jimmy. The firetower roof is sharp, the steps solid. Improvement since the last time I was up there (August 2010) is major. Great project; kudos to all involved.
SoloJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

Cancel/Postpone May 19th work day

Friends,
after going up to inspect the trail and tower on May 4th with SoloJoe plus I have a family matter that will no allow me to be there on the 19th I am going to cancel work that day.
The amount of trail work is a total of clearing maybe three dead-falls and two of those are questionable. And since I can not be there I would not be able to get the tools or remaining windows on site to do any work anyway. Plus I am still waiting to hear if the DEC might need our assistance with the Lake Jimmy Bridge and I am on standby for the airlift of the cement (thank you DEC). If nothing else comes up We will knockout the small trail work and install the remaining windows on the 2nd.
Please Post a reply or send me a PM if you can help on June 2nd.
Thanks in advance
Jack
Ed Viesturs
Old 05-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #14
Kenmore
Consultant

I am a 46er
I should be good for June 2nd. Was going to ask if there was something we could do for the bridge on Lake Jimmy... but wasn't sure if it fell outside our mandate.

Either way, ready to go on the 2nd.
Kenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
Neil
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
I should be good for June 2nd. Was going to ask if there was something we could do for the bridge on Lake Jimmy... but wasn't sure if it fell outside our mandate.
I was thinking we could form a human bridge.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

(Bump)
Could use a couple of volunteers next weekend, June 2nd.
Thanks
Jack
Ed Viesturs
Old 05-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #17
Kenmore
Consultant

I am a 46er
I'm still "in" but it's looking like it will be a little wet. I assume there will be a confirmation (go/no go) on Thursday or Friday morning?
Kenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #18
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
I'm still "in" but it's looking like it will be a little wet. I assume there will be a confirmation (go/no go) on Thursday or Friday morning?
Thanks
Yes there will, and that is why I have the rain dates set up in the schedule. As we all know the forecasts can change rapidly and I am keeping an eye on it. If it looks like a total washout then we will reschedule for the 16th. If it appears that it may be passing t-storms might just haul the windows and some tools up and if we can not do any work at least the stuff will be up there.
Could keep the black flies at bey
Ed Viesturs
Old 05-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #19
Neil
Administrator

How much does a window weigh? You can give it to me in pounds if you need to.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
How much does a window weigh? You can give it to me in pounds if you need to.
They are not too heavy......isn't that specific enough and I am no good at that metric conversion thing anyway.
The windows consist of 4 2x4's 2 of wich are 42" in length and 2 are 34" and two shorter 1"x1" 's for the frames.
I would estimate each set weighs aproximately 10-15 Lbs at best. The last time I brought up a set I used my old Kelty big pack to help support the extra weight. The awkard part is remembering that there are a couple of 2x4's extending about 18 inches over your head.
They are dis-assembled but dowled for assembly on top.
Ed Viesturs