ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Hiking > General Hiking Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #21
PA Ridgerunner
Lovin' Life!

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
Too cool, Steve!

Spent a couple hours adding hikes last night. Need to check my work, but the stats for my CAT3500 show 34, when I have only hiked 32 of the 39. I thought it might have to do with duplicates, but there are 5 that I've done twice, including 2 of those that you are required to climb twice.
Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #22
Dunbar
Always Serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Ridgerunner View Post
I thought it might have to do with duplicates, but there are 5 that I've done twice, including 2 of those that you are required to climb twice.
Glad you like it! For the Catskill stats, I made the % out of 39 - all the 35 plus the 4 you have to do in winter. So it counts the number of "X"s in each of the 35 cells of Column A (on the Cat3500 sheet). Then it looks at the specific cells in the Winter column (Column L) for the 4 peaks you have to climb in winter. So it needs to find a total of 39 "X"s for the Catskill list to reach 100%.

If you hike one of the 4 required "winter" peaks, you would actually receive two "X"s, one in the Completed column and one in the Winter column. So you could climb it once in winter but have it counted twice toward the 39 total. I don't recall what the actual rules are for the Catskill 3500 club - if you just hiked them all once in winter would you be eligible for the club? Or do you actually have to hike those 4 peaks twice no matter what?

I hope that makes sense...
Old 04-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #23
PA Ridgerunner
Lovin' Life!

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
...If you hike one of the 4 required "winter" peaks, you would actually receive two "X"s, one in the Completed column and one in the Winter column. So you could climb it once in winter but have it counted twice toward the 39 total. I don't recall what the actual rules are for the Catskill 3500 club - if you just hiked them all once in winter would you be eligible for the club? Or do you actually have to hike those 4 peaks twice no matter what?

I hope that makes sense...
Yup. That's exactly why my total is inflated by two. I have climbed Panther and Slide one time each (in winter), but it is counting them each twice.

To answer your questions, you have to hike all four designated winter peaks twice (at least once in winter). You could do them all in winter, but would still need to hike the "four" twice.

Thanks again --awesome support of my hiking geekdom.
Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs
The Following User Says Thank You to PA Ridgerunner For This Useful Post:
WinterWarlock (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #24
Trail Boss
Ascender

I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
There's an app for that.
http://www.onebadant.com/solutions/89-app-solutions/81

Not as comprehensive as Dunbar's excellent contribution but it does have a peak-finding feature I had described in my theoretical ”Hiking Assistant 2.0”.

I guess the next step is to slap a QR code on each summit so you can log it more conveniently.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trail Boss For This Useful Post:
PA Ridgerunner (04-13-2012), veggielasagna (04-17-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #25
nangaparbat
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
Very thorough but it lacks the Mile-High list.

I've witnessed at least one couple attempting to achieve 46er MH status. Of course, it could've been Hundred Highest; I didn't ask.

I don't know if a Winter MH list is necessary but you never know. Hikers are a hardy and resourceful lot.
Maybe they were working on a Grid.....
nangaparbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #26
Trail Boss
Ascender

I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFR View Post
Yup.

And there are several patches that are not visible, or that need to be sewed on!
Precisely!

Your "spreadsheet" is your backpack. The sweet irony is its name, haiku. In this case, the 'visual haiku' of juxtaposing the images of a spreadsheet, filled with hard lifeless numbers, and a backpack lovingly covered in soft colorful mementos.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #27
PA Ridgerunner
Lovin' Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
Precisely!

Your "spreadsheet" is your backpack. The sweet irony is its name, haiku. In this case, the 'visual haiku' of juxtaposing the images of a spreadsheet, filled with hard lifeless numbers, and a backpack lovingly covered in soft colorful mementos.
The pack actually belongs to Tom's lovely bride.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #28
Dunbar
Always Serious.

That's weird, Rik must have forgotten to hit the Thanks button.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dunbar For This Useful Post:
Raymond (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #29
Raymond
Consultant

I am a 46er
Now, how do we go about adding 3000-footers?
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #30
Dunbar
Always Serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Now, how do we go about adding 3000-footers?
Given the amount of time it would take, I would get started with a bottle of rum.