ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Hiking > ADKHighpeaks Foundation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Neil
Administrator

adkhighpeaks Foundation Board of Directors adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
ADKHighpeaks Foundations supports Summit Steward Program.

ADKHighpeaks Foundation is proud to announce that we will once again provide a grant to the Summit Steward program to fund a full time seasonal summit steward from May 29th to Sept 3rd, 2012. This year's grant of $5,460, all from the generous support of the members of the forums and ADKhighpeaks Foundation, will enable a regular summit steward presence on Cascade Mountain.

As many of you already are aware Cascade is the most often climbed high peak and is also the most often climbed first high peak. Last year the program was a great success; more than 19,000 people spoke with with the stewards on the covered summits and over 4,100 on Cascade alone!

You will find a detailed reporting of the work done in the Midyear report and the End of Year report from last year and I am sure you will be impressed at the great work that Julia Goren and her team does.

The purposes of the Cascade Project are to Welcome, Educate and Enhance the experience of the less experienced guests to the Adirondack high peaks as well as to curb the erosion that has been taking place on Cascade. Additionally, a photo journal that will demonstrate the improvement in the condition of the damaged vegetation is being made. It will be used as an educational tool to show the benefits of the program in protecting the exceptional and very rare environments that are found on certain Adirondack summits.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Neil For This Useful Post:
Adirondack Ladies (03-23-2012), ADK French Louie (03-31-2012), AdkWalrus (03-20-2012), BillB (03-20-2012), Boghollow (03-19-2012), CPalmatier (03-21-2012), daLunartik (03-19-2012), Gary (07-30-2012), imarchant (03-19-2012), Kenmore (06-19-2012), Maria (03-20-2012), mudrat (02-26-2013), nangaparbat (03-20-2012), NorthBay (08-28-2012), PA Ridgerunner (03-20-2012), Photobug65 (03-20-2012), Snav3 (03-21-2012), timmus (03-20-2012), Tmax (03-21-2012), twinpeaks (03-26-2012), vieWseeker (08-28-2012), WannabeALjr (03-21-2012), yvon (03-20-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

adkhighpeaks Foundation Board of Directors adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Just so you know the two good looking people in the picture is Geoff (Kyler) the newest member of the Board as our IT Guru and Julia Goren the awesome coordinator of the Summer Steward Program. Not in this picture but at the trail head was staff members Adrien Vlach, Dan Hausner, Sarah Ryan, and Pete Guernsey. Thanks for all you do
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs

Last edited by ADKJack; 03-19-2012 at 10:37 PM.
ADKJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
PA Ridgerunner
Lovin' Life!

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKJack View Post
Just so you know the two good looking people in the picture is Geoff (Kyler) the newest member of the Board as our IT Guru and Julia Goren the awesome coordinator of the Summer Steward Program. ...
I thought they were Neil's grandchildren...
Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PA Ridgerunner For This Useful Post:
Neil (03-20-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

2012 Mid Season Summit Steward Report

Please click Here to read about some of the great things Julia Goren and the Summit Stewards have been up to already this summer, hard to believe it is halfway over already.
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ADKJack For This Useful Post:
HAYDK (07-28-2012), PA Ridgerunner (07-29-2012), Snav3 (07-27-2012), SummitHat (07-27-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

The September October 2012 edition of Adirondac has several articles about the Summit Stewards. A great essay by Julia Goren and a historical perspective by Christine Bourjade.
Ed Viesturs