No announcement yet.

Peak Experiences: Danger, Death, and Daring in the Mountains of the Northeast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peak Experiences: Danger, Death, and Daring in the Mountains of the Northeast

Just ordered mine!

Here is a link to the series of Carol White's "Peak Experience" Books.

In addition to writing guide books, Carol and her husband Dave have done the Winter 35, 46, and 48, and serve on the boards of various clubs.
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

I am about 3/4 of the way through this book. Its great. Stories in there by many forum members (including you and your wife, Neil, Zero-G, and others.)

Many of the stories are quite "sobering" and give you some things to think about in terms of safety, preparation, knowing one's limits, putting ego aside, turning back, etc. So the book is useful in that way.

But even more than that, the stories are written by people who have a passion for the ADK's and outdoors. Reading the book gets me anxious and inspired to go on my next hike. Why is it I can read a story about someone who hiked, got caught in the dark, got lost, and almost died and I think...I can't wait to go climb another peak? Do I need a 12-step fellowship? HA possibly?

Comment

oops - I am sorry - you meant the NE book - I was talking about the ADK book - my bad :(

Comment

Originally posted by mrsmileyns View Post
        I am about 3/4 of the way through this book. Its great. Stories in there by many forum members (including you and your wife, Neil, Zero-G, and others.)

Many of the stories are quite "sobering" and give you some things to think about in terms of safety, preparation, knowing one's limits, putting ego aside, turning back, etc. So the book is useful in that way.

But even more than that, the stories are written by people who have a passion for the ADK's and outdoors. Reading the book gets me anxious and inspired to go on my next hike. Why is it I can read a story about someone who hiked, got caught in the dark, got lost, and almost died and I think...I can't wait to go climb another peak? Do I need a 12-step fellowship? HA possibly?
        I've heard this is the most 'extreme' of the series, so you ain't seen nothing yet!
        Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
        Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
        Past President Catskill 3500 Club
        CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

Picked up my copy last week,and it's a great book!!! And to top it off some of my good friends have stories in it
          "You are never really alone in the mountains. Something is there ,and you will find it in yourself "
          Ralph Ryndak

Comment

Just bought it on the kindle earlier today. Great book so far.
            Getting there:

ADK HP 45/46
            ADK HPW 11/46

http://www.idratherbehiking80.blogspot.com/ My photos

"There's no such thing as failure who keeps trying, coasting near the bottom is the only disgrace." - John Popper

Comment

Just put an order in!

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
                Just ordered mine!

Here is a link to the series of Carol White's "Peak Experience" Books.

In addition to writing guide books, Carol and her husband Dave have done the Winter 35, 46, and 48, and serve on the boards of various clubs.
                I was in the local bookstore last Saturday and came across the book (the only copy left), so I bought it. I've been reading it and it is just an A+ read! The chapters are short but very informative.
                We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

Working...
                X