Gunks question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunks question

I know the Gunks are not the Catskill's per se. But I figured someone may have an answer for me.

Is there any parking along or near route 52 at the lower end of the South Gully Trail.

I am planning on doing a hike (bush whack) to try and find some interesting things I've been looking into in that area. And the South Gully Trail looks to be a good starting point

Bill
    Last edited by hoosier; 02-25-2013, 12:48 PM.
    One step done and another begun
    In I wonder how many miles?
    I spent a little time on the mountain, I spent a little time on the hill

Hunter Garcia

I don't believe there is parking at the bottom (North) end of the South Gully trail, and most of the land down on that side of the hike is privately owned. There is parking, however, at the top (South) end of the hike at the Sam's Point Conservation Center and Trailhead.

Another great place to explore in the Gunks area is Stony Kill Creek/Falls off of 55/44 by Kerhonkson.
    In the spirit of Adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by Everest NBD View Post
      I don't believe there is parking at the bottom (North) end of the South Gully trail, and most of the land down on that side of the hike is privately owned. There is parking, however, at the top (South) end of the hike at the Sam's Point Conservation Center and Trailhead.

Another great place to explore in the Gunks area is Stony Kill Creek/Falls off of 55/44 by Kerhonkson.
      Thanks for the information.

The areas I'am looking into checking out are on DEC land according to state lands maps I have seen. Just trying to figure out the best way to access the state land without crossing private land. Looks like I may have to come in from top side by paking at a pulloff along route 55. Up near the hang glider launching area.
      One step done and another begun
      In I wonder how many miles?
      I spent a little time on the mountain, I spent a little time on the hill

Hunter Garcia

Comment

I'm not sure exactly where the hang glider launching area is, but I know that there are a couple roads off of 55 that have trailheads directly into Minnewaska state land. One trail head is off of Foordmore Road, and the other is off of Rock Haven Road, both just south of Kerhonkson along 55. There is a beautiful unmaintained jeep trail across a huge granite shelf north of Stony Kill Creek that is nice to explore. Also, the pine plains by High Point and Sam's Point are very cool.
        In the spirit of Adventure.

Comment

Working...
        X