Good Old Gooding Road...Drive On !!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Old Gooding Road...Drive On !!!!

I'm not a lawyer ... but I'd have to say you can probably park there now...

http://decisions.courts.state.ny.us/...012/512504.pdf

Ted? Mr. Nice Guy ??????
    Natural environment sustains the life of all beings universally. Trees are referred to in accounts of the principal events of Buddha's life. His mother leaned against a tree for support as she gave birth to him. He attained enlightenment seated beneath a tree, and finally passed away as trees stood witness overhead. H.H. D. L.

"experience is something you don't get until after you need it, that's the problem." - Joe Simpson

As I was walking - I saw a sign there
    And that sign said - No tresspassin'
    But on the other side - it didn't say nuthin'
    Now that side was made for you and me!
    - Woody Guthrie -

Charter Member of the Tongue-In-Cheek Club (TIC)

I know the local phone guy uses that road ...
    www.heatherrolland.com
    www.honeymelonfudge.com

Comment

I had a discussion with Mr. Depaolo once regarding access to Halcott from Gooding road once where he said the road was his private property. Guess not.

There is a tiny swatch of state land down to road side there.

I am hiking with Arlo and Jaco on Sunday, ...Halcott or Balsam.

Would really love to get Halcott.

What are you doing?
      Natural environment sustains the life of all beings universally. Trees are referred to in accounts of the principal events of Buddha's life. His mother leaned against a tree for support as she gave birth to him. He attained enlightenment seated beneath a tree, and finally passed away as trees stood witness overhead. H.H. D. L.

"experience is something you don't get until after you need it, that's the problem." - Joe Simpson

- Woody Guthrie -

Comment

Having once cut the gate blocking this road in the very late 80's or very early 90's( while a very dumbfounded, speechless land owner watched ), I am somewhat familiar with the area.
        But, take a look at the SLIM mapping thing on the DEC site. The State land bordering the Crump Rd. appears to be part of the Shandaken Wild Forest, Lower Birch Creek Area, Ulster County, Region 3. The Halcott Wild Forest,Greene County, Region 4 where Halcott Mt. is located does not border Crump Rd. There looks to be a section of the dreaded PP between the Region 3 and the Region 4 state properties.
        Check it out and see what you come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by mudhook View Post
          The Halcott Wild Forest,Greene County, Region 4 where Halcott Mt. is located does not border Crump Rd. There looks to be a section of the dreaded PP between the Region 3 and the Region 4 state properties.

Check it out and see what you come up with.
          Hmmm, interesting.

However, there is State Land Signage on the road. You can see it, right there on the road. An indication that the state land does indeed come right down to the road.
          However, it is a very small swath, perhaps it looks to be only a matter of feet, 10 to 20 perhaps. I am only guessing and have no idea , really, of how wide it is.

I don't have any maps with me at the moment, but I do seem to remember the Catskill map set indicating the public land comes down to the road. AND, I will vouch for the fact that this whole thing is giving the current land owner ulcers.

The reason for this is, he has vast amounts of sap collecting equipment throughout his land on each side of the public land swath.

- Woody Guthrie -

Comment

Yes, the DEC land is part of the Birch Creek Area, from below the road, a small section crosses the road, which is still in Ulster County. The Halcott Mt Area is above this , Greene County. Doesn't appear to connect

Comment

Originally posted by mudhook View Post
              Yes, the DEC land is part of the Birch Creek Area, from below the road, a small section crosses the road, which is still in Ulster County. The Halcott Mt Area is above this , Greene County. Doesn't appear to connect
              Ah Yes.... I see it now...I just checked out the SLIM. Very interesting. Now I understand why the landowner is getting ulcers !!!!

It is misleading. I need to check the catskill and VO maps to see how they line up with this.

- Woody Guthrie -

Comment

Here are two websites that may help:

http://gis.greenegovernment.com/giswebmap/#

http://gis.co.ulster.ny.us/

Tim
                Smile, things could be worse.

Comment

Glad I got Halcott out of the way in winter. (from Gooding Rd.)
                  More importantly, in good road conditions.
                  Cell phones are dog whistles for people.
                  -Lisa Loeb

Comment

Working...
                  X