Dial Nippletop - 4/28

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dial Nippletop - 4/28

We started at the parking lot at 6:30AM and made good time to the register at the AMR gate, no warden at the shack. It was cold and windy, about 24 degrees. We made good time to the Leach trail and headed up for Dial, we decided on a clockwise direction. At 2400' the ice was getting bad enough we put on our microspikes and they stayed on until the late afternoon. The trail up to the shoulder of Noonmark was firm but where we were walking in the drainage bed the ice was not strong enough to hold our weight. By the time we got to the first overlook the winds had dimenished and although it was not calm it was not windy enough to chase us off the summits. Along the trail - up & down to Dial there was some snow spine, a nice dusting of snow, lots of ice but nothing requiring snow shoes. We passed several folks who were barebooting, I don't see how they did it.

The trail along the ridge was in good shape, enough snow cover to make it an enjoyable walk. The snow cover made everything feel so crisp and clean. The final push to Nippletop was fun. The views were amazing. After a nice lunch and a break on nippletop we headed down to Elk Pass. The steep trail down which drops about 1100' in less than a mile was also fairly easy (but slow), the snow made it rather easy and gentle on the knees. The trail from the pond to the Gill Brook trail was very muddy and wet in spots. The Gill brook trail had been well used and was a bit sloppy in places. We dropped the microspikes at about 2200'. The final walk out the lake road was tedious but we sang songs to pass the time.

Overall the weather was perfect, soon all these trails will be muddy - we are glad we took advantage of these conditions while they existed.

We were back to the car about 7:15, Dinner at Noonmark diner where we also bought thier last pie to take home, it was a long day.

ADKGurl will post pictures soon - check her blog.

Edit: Pictures are up - check out the blog.
    Enjoying the journey with my favorite hiking partner.
    Please visit ADKGurl's Blog: 46-High-Peaks

Sounds like a fun trip! I have only ever done those to in April and had similar conditions. Noonmark diner is the perfect end to any hike.
    ADK 46/46, 22w
    NH 21/48
    NE 70/115

Comment

Congrats, to you and your daughter. sounds like it was a fun trip, but you took the last pie. I wanted it. lol.
      Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

Sound like a fun trip Dan...Especially the pie part. So what kind of pies do they offer? We might have to go there instead of the Ausable Inn for some post hike eats next time. The wife would love it if I brought her home a pie. Anyway good trip I'll check out ADKgurls blog for pics.

Steve
        25/46
        4/46 W

Comment

Looks like you guys had a great day. The views along the upper parts of that trail are fantastic, glad you had a good day for it.
          Noonmark Diner is good place to reward yourself at the end of a long day.
          Hiking Pictures

Comment

Originally posted by NorthBay View Post
            Sound like a fun trip Dan...Especially the pie part. So what kind of pies do they offer?
            Steve
            http://www.noonmarkdiner.com/pies01.html
            Hiking Pictures

Comment

Thanks for the TR. I'll be up there Tuesday, so now I know how to pack, thanks to you! I'm glad you enjoyed the hike.

And the pie..

Comment

Originally posted by NorthBay View Post
                Sound like a fun trip Dan...Especially the pie part. So what kind of pies do they offer? We might have to go there instead of the Ausable Inn for some post hike eats next time. The wife would love it if I brought her home a pie. Anyway good trip I'll check out ADKgurls blog for pics.

Steve
                Thanks Steve. You got your "kind of pies" answer, we like the Apple & crumb crust - they put cinnamon in the crust. We try to stop by for a quick bite and bring Mom home a pie. If you do stop in - realize that the Noonmark is a diner, more home cook style, service can be a little spotty. We just like the place because it feels right.

ADKGurl is resting today - she may have the blog out tonight or tomorrow. We took a pic of Giant at the end of the day that I hope comes out - it was the coolest thing. The South face had melted and all along the very top and the ridge line on both sides was a white frosting that glowed in the evening sun. It looked like the mountain had a grey beard. Pictures will not do justice to how the great range and even Whiteface appeared. What a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Gerard01 View Post
                  Congrats, to you and your daughter. sounds like it was a fun trip, but you took the last pie. I wanted it. lol.
                  We would have shared!

Comment

Great job, guys. We can't wait to get back down there.

The Noonmark Diner really does "just feel right".

Blair

Comment

Sounds like you both had a great time. Snow, ice, mud, rocks, views, the Lake Road; a little of everything except, it would appear, bugs.

Thanks for the TR and what's the next objective?
                      Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
                        Sounds like you both had a great time. Snow, ice, mud, rocks, views, the Lake Road; a little of everything except, it would appear, bugs.

Thanks for the TR and what's the next objective?
                        Yes - no bugs! A great reason to hike in the early spring.

The next adventure was a topic of discussion on the way out. I had mentioned Street and Nye but ADKGurl suggested they would be best left for the fall when we could enjoy the foliage. If we see an opportunity to camp we are thinking Colden (overnight at Avalanche camp and do the clockwise loop). If not we a may give WF & Ester a try. One thing camping allows us to do is make it over to the Mountaineer before they close, I owe ADKGUrl 3 patches. Not sure the time frame, maybe mid May. I don't want to hike if it is too wet - it is so hard on the trails. We plan on tackling some of the harder peaks this summer.

Thanks for asking.

Comment

nice day, congrats.
                          ADK 46-R #6750W
                          CL-50 - #51
                          CATSKILLS- 9/39
                          NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Sounds wonderful .. Can't wait to see the pics. Nippletop is amazing . If you did it again would you choose clockwise again ? I have always done it counterclockwise .
                            Not all those who wander are lost....JRR Tolkien

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear View Post
                              Sounds wonderful .. Can't wait to see the pics. Nippletop is amazing . If you did it again would you choose clockwise again ? I have always done it counterclockwise .
                              Pics are in the blog - see my sig line.
                              I would do it the same way again for the simple reason that you get the hard part done first. The climb to Noonmark shoulder is steep in places and it comes as soon as you get off the road, the endless up and down is also tiresome. Once done with Dial, just take your time going down to Elk Pass and then it is a easy - albeit long walk out.

Comment

Working...
                              X