Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday the 13th: Part Couchsachraga (4.13.12)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hear the Footsteps View Post
    I guess things change alot up there in only a weeks time....nice TR
    Don
    Yeah, we had read your TR and thought we'd see some signs of your trip...but it was all gone!

Originally posted by Gregory Karl View Post
    Wow! That's a lot of work for an evil little peak like Couchsachraga. Makes you wish the surveyor was still alive so we could murder him.
    Maybe murder is a little extreme...lol...but yeah, I know what you mean. My younger son was pretty miffed that it wasn't a "real" 46r.

Originally posted by rbalbs View Post
    Way to tough it out and great that you were prepared with snowshoes. Sometimes the best memories come from times when the going is tough but you persevere.
    Last weekend there had been a fair amount of new powdery snow, and with all of the rain during the week we figured it was snow up high. We knew we should at least carry the snowshoes, just in case.

Originally posted by paulc View Post
    Hey thanks but 8 hours too late for us. I took my son out there today who needed all three peaks to put him at # 45 Therefore there was no turning back. Thank you for breaking out Couch as we did it after finding our way to Panther and we very much appreciated it. It was a very rough go to Santanoni finding trail and post-holing.
    I'm glad you got all 3...We weren't sure how helpful our track to Couch would be with all of the detours and side routes, but my sister brushed some of them in on the way back.

Originally posted by Gerard01 View Post
    The pic of Couchy just sitting out there by itself was intimidating. An imposing figure that seems to dare you to try and come over. Then, when you do, it mocks you with another challenge: try and get back.

I wait for that day, Couchsachraga. Glad you got the peak. Good job!
    I thought Couch looked very innocuous from a distance...but knew that was misleading. My sister thinks it looks like a bear with the little ears on each side, but I think it looks like Shrek.

Originally posted by DackerDan View Post
    We will do this hike, possibly this summer. The plan is to go in the afternoon before, camp at Bradley pond, start the day early with Couchy as the first priority and then if we have time - Santi and Panther before we return down the ridge to the campsite and then hike out the next AM. If we don't get Santi and Panther then we will return and get them another time. Plan for Allen is similar. No herculean one day efforts for these, we have not had to go out under headlamp yet.

My first priority is to make the trips safe and enjoyable so I do not risk loosing my hiking partner.
    I would say, based on reading your TR's, if you camp and do Couch, you should have no problem also doing Panther. By the time you get to Herald Square (prior to Time Square) you have basically climbed the bulk of Panther's elevation gain. If you can't add Santanoni you could do that alone from the New/Old Trail.

Headlamps were kind of fun, especially on the road walk...but I know what you mean about risking the loss of a hiking partner. We joke that we are making terrific family memories, or material for therapy sessions.

Originally posted by Snav3 View Post
    Nice TR and great job of route finding on that excessively winding trail.
    It is amazing what summiting can do to improve the moods.
    Yeah, summiting was VERY validating and completely changed the whole mindset of the hike.

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
    The looks on your sons' faces said it all. Hey, there's always a bright side: you didn't have to tip-toe through Couchie's swamp!

Thanks for the TR and photos and the beta on current conditions.
    Yeah, she kept the moral of the group up...but there was no hiding the fatigue. Passing through the swamp was actually really nice, but I can imagine it is not so nice without snow.

Maybe I'll have to go back and see...

Someday.
    Ready to join AlpineLamb's flock...

46W +1W
    AlpineAce: 46/46
    AlpineNinja: 46/46

http://adkwannabe.wordpress.com/about/

Comment

Gregory Karl. The Angriest Man in the World.

Soon to star in the movie "Hike Angry".
      It only sounds that way because you misquoted me! You didn't include the little smiley face emoticon, which, by current convention, negates any ill-will, rage, or evil intent. For example: "I wish all of humanity would die from mutant, flesh-eating bacteria" See, that might have sounded unpleasant by your lax editorial standards, when, in fact, it is obvious I wish everyone health and happiness!
      Last edited by Gregory Karl; 04-15-2012, 10:32 AM.

Comment

... or it's even creepier when suggesting to "off" someone while smiling. Yikes!

From Karlpedia:
        The emoticon is more powerful that a Catholic confessional; it is your 'get out of jail free' card. Feel free to write the most outrageous statements, even death threats, provided you terminate the phrase with a colon and right parenthesis. These last two characters will absolve you of all sins. Internet Factoid: There isn't a lawyer in the land that has won a libel case once it was discovered the statement ended with a happy face!

Behold! The all powerful smiley!
        Looking for Views!

Comment

... or it's even creepier when suggesting to "off" someone while smiling. Yikes!

From Karlpedia:
          The emoticon is more powerful that a Catholic confessional; it is your 'get out of jail free' card. Feel free to write the most outrageous statements, even death threats, provided you terminate the phrase with a colon and right parenthesis. These last two characters will absolve you of all sins. Internet Factoid: There isn't a lawyer in the land that has won a libel case once it was discovered the statement ended with a happy face!

Behold! The all powerful smiley!
          Well, in all fairness, I was suggesting we "off" a corpse, and I don't think threatening a former someone is illegal or even particularly shocking. And if we are tallying my exploits against those of the Catholic Church, please note that they once put a corpse on trial (the famous Corpse Synod), with a deacon squating behind the corpse's chair and answering the inquisitor's questions. I, at least, would have let the corpse speak for itself!

By the way: I'm not sure you can tell when I am joking. You do understand I was lampooning the mitigating powers of emoticons, right?

Comment

Yup. Me too.
            Looking for Views!

Comment

By the way: I'm not sure you can tell when I am joking. You do understand I was lampooning the mitigating powers of emoticons, right?
              You mean you weren't serious?
              I thought for sure you were.
              Anyway, that was a great conversation...
              And we all agree Couch is a fun peak!
              Ready to join AlpineLamb's flock...

46W +1W
              AlpineAce: 46/46
              AlpineNinja: 46/46

http://adkwannabe.wordpress.com/about/

Comment

Great job on many levels....sounded like a perfect Friday the 13th.

Don't you like it how sisters keep secrets from you...ie MORE SNOW, I figured that to be the case.
                Last edited by Highonlife; 04-16-2012, 05:31 PM.
                Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Highonlife View Post
                  Great job on any levels....sounded like a perfect Friday the 13th.

Don't you like it how sisters keep secrets from you...ie MORE SNOW, I figured that to be the case.
                  As Meatloaf once said...you took the workds right outta my mouth

Originally posted by AlpineLamb View Post
                  So here's the secret...what I was telling my sister and what I knew to be true may have been two different things!
                  Sounds like peakbagging to me

Comment

You do understand I was lampooning the mitigating powers of emoticons, right?
                    Going where the wind don't blow so strange
                    Maybe off on some high cold mountain range.
                    Robert Hunter

www.tmax-n-topo.com

Comment

Originally posted by DackerDan View Post
                      Let's do it!

We will do this hike, possibly this summer. The plan is to go in the afternoon before, camp at Bradley pond, start the day early with Couchy as the first priority and then if we have time - Santi and Panther before we return down the ridge to the campsite and then hike out the next AM. If we don't get Santi and Panther then we will return and get them another time. Plan for Allen is similar. No herculean one day efforts for these, we have not had to go out under headlamp yet.

Would be glad to work out the plans with you in more detail as the date gets closer. However - since we are relatively close to the park, we have no apprehension about moving dates around to avoid bad weather. My first priority is to make the trips safe and enjoyable so I do not risk loosing my hiking partner.
                      Don't know if you tent camp or were eyeing up the leanto, but there's a nice looking campsite a ways up the herdpath. We were checking it out after doing Santi and Panther, with plans to return for Couchie. Unfortunately, my youngest daughter (12 - and I just passed along your daughter's blog) still needs all three, so we'll be back!

Comment

Working...
                      X