Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crepuscular View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Color-Wh.../dp/B0002KPGG6

Not too far to hike it in, not a major investment if bears nab it while we're climbing, deflate for the hike out. What could go wrong?
    pretty sure you meant to link to this...

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2709578..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y

Comment

I'd give this a whirl.
      "If a person never quit when the going got tough, they'd have nothing to regret for the rest of their lives." --Lance Armstrong, "Dodgeball"

Comment

So, is bushwhacking around the bay on the north side legal?

Comment

Maybe this?
          Crepuscular Rays: Dissolve into evergreens

There's always gonna be another mountain
          I'm always gonna wanna make it move
          Always gonna be an uphill battle
          Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
          Ain't about how fast I get there
          Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side...
          It's the climb
          -Miley Cyrus

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
            So, is bushwhacking around the bay on the north side legal?
            Define Legal.......There is not a PP issue in this section that I am aware of, however I am pretty sure that creating a herd path in mud season would be frowned upon by the DEC. I mean really how many people really need Adams or Allen for the Grid or FT Challenge in May
            "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
            Ed Viesturs

Comment

Our solution...

We hiked Allen on Monday- here is my pics-- we just stripped and waded thru...
              was quite cold, about 20 degrees, but once we got our dry clothes back on, we were all good. on the way back, as it was only 15 minutes from the car, we didnt bother striping, just walked thru.
              Last edited by Neil; 05-03-2012, 10:05 AM.
              I AM A 46R. 5 winters.

Comment

All joking aside, anyone ever try a packraft, like this one? Apparently quite a popular option in the northwest and Alaska...
                Winter Gathering 2015: Info | Donations | Peaks | Food | Clean-up

Comment

Originally posted by mudrat View Post
                  I heard of a scenic, albeit longer, bypass around the lake via Flowed Lands and Hanging Spear
                  ...or an inflatable raft.
                  Seriously, unless you're bound and determined to do Alllen in a single day, I think this route might be a nice alternative. I really didn't like the hike until we got to Skylight Brook, and with the Hudson, Opalescent and now Lake Jimmy bridges all out thats a lot of water to cross. I've also always wanted to check out Hanging Spear Falls so why not? Thanks for the idea, now I need to check out the maps.
                  "Feats don't fail me now"

Comment

Originally posted by joelenhard View Post
                    We hiked Allen on Monday- here is my pics-- we just stripped and waded thru...
                    was quite cold, about 20 degrees, but once we got our dry clothes back on, we were all good. on the way back, as it was only 15 minutes from the car, we didnt bother striping, just walked thru.
                    How deep do you estimate Lake Jimmy to be, at least when you went through?
                    We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

The lake jimmy bridge looks the same yesterday as it does in the picture in the 1st post of this thread. There are no connecting boards from the W shore (TH Side) to the sturdier section of the middle and the boards on the East side are also underwater. There is no way to get to that one section that is barely above water without wading at least waist deep through the muck.
                      My suggestion is DON'T

It is a short bushwhack to the north end of the lake. Go about 50 yards past the beaver dam and you will find enough downed trees to cross the inlet. I put on my microspikes to get more traction on the wet tree crossing but it is not necassary. Once across you will hit an old logging road that will take you right back to the trail.

Also the flow rate crossing the Hudson was fairly strong and the wade through the legal route just up stream from the bridge was about mid thigh on me.
                      The bridge and short trail to it is closed. It is very unsafe and illegal to cross. there is no decking yet and the cable is just barely pinned to the rock and is not ready to be weight bearing.
                      There are plans to fix the bridge and some good people already working on it but it is going to be several months out at best.
                      There is also a plan to either repair the lake Jimmy Bridge in early July or it is very possible that there may be a trail reroute around the lake the north.
                      "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
                      Ed Viesturs

Comment

Thanks Jack! Those repairs if they come fit my schedule for Alan this summer.
                        Enjoying the journey with my favorite hiking partner.
                        Please visit ADKGurl's Blog: 46-High-Peaks

Comment

Lake Jimmy Outlet

Looking at the USGS topo map, it appears that the outlet of Lake Jimmy is in the north bay and runs NW roughly parallel to the hiking trail through a swamp to the Hudson just above the bridge. The very low slope and some blockage from Irene would explain the rise in lake level, which had not changed much for years.

Jack's bushwhack around the north bay would cross the outlet and then an inlet coming in from the north. That sounds like the way to go, till the level goes down.

Comment

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...ver-the-Hudson!

I'm not sure what the poster's affiliation with the 46ers is, but it sounds like, in addition to being illegal, any hike that uses the closed bridge might not count towards completion of the 46.

Comment

I'm just glad it was -20 F when we did it... no water worries!!
                              “Keep close to Nature's heart...and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.”
                              -John Muir

ADK 46-R 7090W
                              Saranac Lake 6er (3x) 11U, UW
                              Catskill 3500 2265; 921W

Comment

Myself and three others did the Mt. Adams hike in mid-April, at that time the Lake Jimmy bridge was still crossable. The section on the lower right of the picture was still attached. Except for some seesaw action on the first set of boards, it was an easy cross.

And for the Hudson River bridge, we walked over there and got pictures, but in no way would we have tried to cross it in it's present condition. Water was about up to my knees at the official crossing point. Funny thing was we were concentrating so much on just getting across that no one got any photos of us wading.
                                Firetowers - 29/29
                                46ers - 4/46

Comment

Working...
                                X