No announcement yet.

Peak Conditions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the final question, what sort of distance will I be looking at for both? Will we need to start before dawn, or could I do it by starting at like 8:30?

Comment

Originally posted by SanDimas1988 View Post
      That definitely helps. Thanks a lot.

Everyone on here is so helpful, but I feel bad constantly asking for routes before I make a trip up. Is there any online resource with trail information I can just look up?

And a couple final questions about this trip. On your map, it looks like the starting places are closer to Esther, will the trail go towards Whiteface, then loop back towards Esther? Or does it hit Esther first? You said to hit Whiteface, then follow a herd path to Esther, will I then turn around and come back?

And to Ridgerunner, thanks, I'll check EMS tomorrow.
      Sent you a PM. Re distance, it's nearly 13 miles to do both from the reservoir...you save about 2.4 miles RT by starting at ASRC.
      Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Everyone on here is so helpful, but I feel bad constantly asking for routes before I make a trip up. Is there any online resource with trail information I can just look up?

And a couple final questions about this trip. On your map, it looks like the starting places are closer to Esther, will the trail go towards Whiteface, then loop back towards Esther? Or does it hit Esther first? You said to hit Whiteface, then follow a herd path to Esther, will I then turn around and come back?

And to Ridgerunner, thanks, I'll check EMS tomorrow.
        The trail splits. There is a junction near the top of Lookout Mountain- going straight at the junction will lead you to the summit of Whiteface, taking a right will take you out to the summit of Esther. Both are out and back trips, so you'll need to return to the junction after summiting each peak.

I'd say an 8 or 8:30 am start should be good enough- but it depends on how fast you hike. Getting both Whiteface and Esther isn't exactly one of the harder High Peaks hikes, though.

Comment

There are several websites I use a lot when I don't have handy access to my books. I keep them bookmarked.

This website has a nice map and a bit of a description for most of the high peaks as well as a lot of other places in the park and Catskills.
          http://www.cnyhiking.com/AdirondackPark.htm

This website I use for a quick reference on times, distances and hike difficulties:
          http://www.adirondack.net/tour/hike/highpeaks.cfm

And this one has the GPS coordinates for the peaks:
          http://alavigne.net/Outdoors/Feature...sp?navpage=gps

And finally this one has some trail descriptions - here is the one on Ester:
          http://www.summitpost.org/mount-esther/150690

However, for a herd path hike I would recommend searching this website. Some of the regulars have very good descriptions of routes. Trail Boss in particular has many well written and recent (within a year or two) reports, I have used them several times.

Good luck.
          Enjoying the journey with my favorite hiking partner.
          Please visit ADKGurl's Blog: 46-High-Peaks

Comment

Working...
          X