Adkhighpeaks Foundation Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photo Theme: Your First Adirondack Hike!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first trip to the Adirondacks was the year after I broke my hip - 2005. We hiked Mt Arab and Mt Jo that weekend - had a little more hair and few less pounds then. This shot was on Arab...

Click image for larger version

Name:	12fec8f8275fcedb6877fa85bc0cf9ce.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	914
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.

Comment

My first hike was up Mount Washington on October 8, 1977. I wore contact lenses then, instead of eyeglasses.

This is in Tuckerman Ravine.

Here I am climbing Mount Washington for my fourth time, 30 years later (October 6, 2007), with my son, Cameron.

My first hike in the Adirondacks was in 1983, when I climbed Giant Mountain (my second Northeast 4000-footer). Those photos are among my slides somewhere in my bedroom closet. Here I am on Cascade with Cam on August 12, 1998, when he and I and my ladyfriend, Susan, climbed our first High Peak together. This was the hike on which I contracted the peakbagging bug.

This was the next day, August 13, 1998, when we climbed Giant so that we would each have two High Peaks under our belts and boots.

Eleven years to the day after this last photo was taken, Cam finished his 46.

Comment

Anyone know how to stuff an Ektachrome into an SD slot?
        Looking for Views!

Comment

Some cool pictures! I like the ones from the ol.....er......."experienced" people.

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
          Push harder?
          Hike Always.
          http://dunbarsm.wordpress.com

Comment

Any large universities near you? Libraries on college campuses will often have archival equipment, including scanners, that are available to the public to use for free.

At Paul Smiths we have one in the library- it's designed for general public use and sits out by the photocopier. You just place the item you want scanned on the surface, set the options (b/w or color, resolution, etc), and it scans it for you. The image can either be immediately emailed to you, or you can save to a flash drive on the spot.

I believe it also can scan books (with an automatic page turner) although I've not used this feature.
            Last edited by DSettahr; 04-27-2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunbar View Post

Push harder?
              Tried that. Said it needed to be formatted. Not sure which format to use:
              FAT32 (Frikkin Ancient Transparency)
              NTFS (Not That Frikin $hit)
              Looking for Views!

Comment

1984. In the Whites. Me and my Jansport D3 plus my girlfriend's pack.

I'm sure I have a few prints from the 70's ...
                Looking for Views!

Comment

Just copy your slides the way I did last year on the cheap. Set your camera on top of the projector and photograph the projected images.

Like this. Here are Susan and Cam from 1998 at Pemaquid Point lighthouse:

Doesnít look too bad. I wouldnít blow it up to 11"x14", but itís all right small or online.

Some came out better than others. I didnít bother going back to re-do any because I only needed them tiny to fit onto a calendar.

Comment

Holy crap! You steal those shorts from Catherine Bach or what??!!
                    I know it sounds corny, man, but I like to bring folks joy, and I like to have a good time. I know folks like to be with somebody who's having a good time. You sure as hell don't want to be with somebody who's having a bad day.
                    -WJ

Comment

Thanks for the laugh!

Definitely not Daisy Duke shorts! Those are electric blue Adidas running shorts with three red stripes, of course. Freedom of movement!
                      Looking for Views!

Comment

Geez. The 80's. Such wardrobe decisions we had to make back then. I know just the shorts you mean. I always had the royal blue with white srtipes though, and no, I am not posting any pics of them. That level of bravery is beyond my abilities.
                        I know it sounds corny, man, but I like to bring folks joy, and I like to have a good time. I know folks like to be with somebody who's having a good time. You sure as hell don't want to be with somebody who's having a bad day.
                        -WJ

Comment

Ektachrome was nice...but how about Kodachrome ASA 25

Don

Comment

Or even better, Velvia 50. Ektachrome was supposed to be better for blues and greens, Kodachrome for reds and yellows, but Velvia really popped.

Photo places like Ritz Camera will digitize slides, but I donít know if the slides will stay in their mounts or be removed, and I donít know how sharp theyíll come out if they arenít unmounted first. Thatís always been a worry for me. No sense paying to have it done if the results arenít tack sharp.

It would get real expensive real fast, too, Iíll bet. Iíd love to have a scanner, but I suspect Iíd have to spend way too much money to get a decent one, and I donít know whatís a decent one.

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond View Post
                              It would get real expensive real fast, too, Iíll bet. Iíd love to have a scanner, but I suspect Iíd have to spend way too much money to get a decent one, and I donít know whatís a decent one.
                              I've got one I bought for a small project, that's done now, that's been sitting around waiting to go on EBay...

http://www.amazon.com/Veho-VFS-008-S...7174082&sr=1-3

I paid about $100 with shipping, I'll let it go much cheaper though if you're interested. I liked it since it was a stand alone, I could sit there while watching TV and scan at the same time, instead of needing to be in front of the computer.
                              Firetowers - 29/29
                              46ers - 4/46

Comment

slide scanners

We had a slide scanner at Kodakís employee camera club, long gone now, but there was also one at a local photography co-op. They would let anyone use it for a small donation.

Slides did not need to be removed from their mounts and the quality was excellent, better than any photo scanners I have used. These scanners also could do negatives.
                                Hiking Pictures

Comment

Working...
                                X